Friday, September 17, 2010

Pull Up Your Damn Pants Please!

I can not, will not, shall not, ever, ever, understand why young men walk around with their pants under their butt cheeks.
It is not cute, not sexy, not tight, not fresh, not appealing, not cool, not dope, it is not even what's up.
It is disrespectful, offensive, ridiculous, pitiful, sloppy, stupid, ignorant and it makes you look like a hoodlum.
Your appearance says a lot about you. Life is hard enough for black men today. Why perpetuate this negative stereotype of saggin'. Surely, I am not the only one who shares this point of view. Someone wrote a song about it; "Pants on the ground, pants on the ground,  looking like a fool with your pants on the ground."

Public transportation,  metro bus and train,  is how I get around the city.  Nothing pisses me off more than sitting on a crowed bus or train and some young man is standing in front of me with his ass in my face. WTF? Why do I have to smell his funky butt and see his boxers? Sometimes a young man will sit next to me and the waist of his pants is at his knees. The maternal instinct in me wants to say pull up your damn pants, please!
Many people from different ethnic backgrounds and races are sagging also.However, sagging pants are predominantly worn by black males.  This has prompted some states to pass anti-sagging or baggy pants law. I understand this dress is a freedom of expression, that is protected by the first amendment, but I see nothing positive about it.

For those black young men who live in the states where the ordinances were passed; is it worth it to be arrested and fined because you don't want to pull your pants up over your ass?

S-A-G-G-I-N spelled backwards is N-I-G-G-A-S     (Is this the image we want to portray?)

Queen of Hearts

1 comment: